Perspective

Thoughts of a Catholic convert

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, April 07, 2012

Hope on Holy Saturday

It's strange - I've seen/heard hope mentioned three times today ....

- Fr. James Martin SJ has a post at America magazine's blog, We Live in Holy Saturday, in which he writes ...

[H]ope. It is an active waiting; it knows that, even in the worst of situations, even in the darkest times, God is at work. Even if we can’t see it clearly right now.

- And I listened to a video by Matt Maher ...



... in which he talks about the disciples hoping Jesus will return .... [T[he kind of hope where I don't even want to hope this is real because I can't handle the letdown if it's not.

- And then I was watching an episode of Lost - I never saw the series when it was on tv so now that's what all my netflix disks are dedicated to. In this episode Doc Jack tells a woman with a broken back she'll probably never walk again, and his father, also a doctor, tells him ... You might want to try handing out some hope every once in a while. Even if there's a 99 percent probability that they're utterly, hopelessly screwed, folks are much more inclined to hear that 1 percent chance that things are going to be okay.

Ignatius of Loyola liked hope - he said I call consolation every increase of hope, faith and charity. Me being me, I almost always think my hopes are false, but I also try to remember the attitude of Lloyd in the movie Dumb and Dumber when he asks the woman he loves what the chances are that she'll return his feelings :) .....




2 Comments:

Blogger William D. Lindsey said...

A wonderful Easter to you, Crystal--full of consolation and hope (I live Ignaitus's statement about the connection between the two). Thank you for all you do to educate us and make us think here. I am still basking in the glow of Connie Willis, whom I wouldn't have discovered without you.

7:49 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Bill. Happy Easter to you and Steve also :)

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home