My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, January 10, 2014

Top of the Lake



My latest DVD rental - Top of the Lake ... a 2013 television miniseries written by Jane Campion .... Filmed and set in New Zealand, the drama series follows a detective (Elisabeth Moss) investigating the disappearance of a pregnant 12-year-old girl.

You can read a review of it at the Jesuit Post , and a very different one at The New York Times - Pregnant Girl Vanishes, and Story Lines Fork. The show won some awards, in part, I think, because it was perceived as unflinching in its portrayal of human frailty ... sex abuse, rape, domestic violence, drug-dealing, murder ... sociopathy abounds.

It's because of the show's representation of human nature that I don't want to watch the rest of the series. It's hard enough to make it through each day without the reinforcement of my darkest belief - that people are intrinsically broken beyond repair. No surprise, then, that I'd rather watch a series about an emotionless android ...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home