My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Joss Whedon not a feminist

In the news: ‘Hypocrite preaching feminist ideals’: Director Joss Whedon’s ex-wife accuses him of cheating and Five times Joss Whedon, self-proclaimed 'woke bae', blew his feminist credentials

This will come as no surprise to those who have followed his work. I've watched a lot of it because he does science fiction and that's what I love - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is one of my favorite shows of all. But still ...

- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I watched this whole series. It's a show in which the main character is a beautiful blond high school cheerleader. She's not especially bright or especially a good person, but she can kick vampire ass while looking very hot.

- Firefly. I tried to watch it but just couldn't like it. What I especially didn't like was the inclusion of a main character as an upper crust geisha/prostitute/madam. Writing prostitution as legal and "high class" doesn't fix what's wrong with it ... no little girl dreams of some day growing up to have a career in which she services the lusts of strangers while pretending to want it, want it bad.

- The Avengers movies. I love the Avengers. I read the comics when I was a kid and I love the movies even more. But some of the dialogue baffles me. Like, why does the script in the first movie have Loki call Black Widow a "mewling quim" - British for c*nt. He's supposed to be a Norse god from another planet not a misogynist from London. And why write Iron Man as making a rape joke in the second movie (Let's talk about Age of Ultron's rape joke). And then there's the way Black Widow, the only female Avenger for years, is treated ... The Avengers’ Black Widow Problem: How Marvel Slut-Shamed Their Most Badass Superheroine and Black Widow's Smurfette Problem and An Open Letter to Joss Whedon from a Disappointed Feminist Fan After Watching ‘Age of Ultron’

Not feminist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home