My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, May 04, 2018

The Kilauea volcano

Earthquakes and the Kilauea volcano erupting on the Big Island of Hawaii ...



I was actually there once on a vacation with my mom, sister, and grandmother. Here's mama, grama, and me at the Honolulu airport ...




Here's grama at a bird park on Oahu :) ...



And here's me with the Great Amida Buddha, Lahaina Jodo Mission, Maui ...



Sadly, no pics of us on the Big Island, but while there we ate lunch at a restaurant that overlooked the volcanoes (I had a grilled cheese sandwich on Hawaiian bread) and visited Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park. This was long ago - I'm sure it's changed a lot since then. Hope there's not too much destruction with these latest earthquakes anderuptions.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

I hope there's not a lot of destruction too.
I like your pictures, especially that one of the bird sitting on your grandma's head. She doesn't look like it bothered her at all.
We were in Hawaii in 2012, but we didn't get to the Big Island. Mostly we were on Oahu and spent one day in Kauai. I hear they had some pretty bad flooding this week, hope they are recovering. Hawaii is one of my happy places. I hope we get to go back. This time we would be sure to get to the big island and check out the volcanoes.

10:19 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Katherine. I was lucky enough to visit Hawaii twice. One that trip in the post, we visited Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island. The next trip was just to Oahu. But I've never been t Kauai - it sounds like it would be beautiful there. Also, I wonder what Molokai is like and if visitors can go there now - saw a movie once about Fr. Damian.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

They had an article about Molokai in this month's Hawaii Magazine. It isn't as developed as the other islands, but you can visit there. The only place that's off limits is the area where the survivors of Hansens disease and their families live, to protect their privacy. The pictures are beautiful.
Kauai is beautiful, too. We saw Waimea Canyon, and took a river boat ride down the Wailua River.

2:30 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

That sounds really fun :)

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home