My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, November 08, 2018

Floppy

Lately I've been trying to figure out how to get some extra money and the thought occurred that I could self-publish my ancient book-length story written many years ago. Amazon makes it easy to self-publish kindle books. It's free and you can keep 70% of the selling price. My brother-in-law does this: here's his vampire novel, The Shake ...



But anyway, I looked for my copy of my old story in the bottom drawer of my grandmother's dresser (on which the computer now sits) where I have all my ancient floppies ...



Then I realized my present computer couldn't read floppies and had to send away for a floppy disk drive. Then when I downloaded it to the desktop, I couldn't open it because the program I had been using, Claris, was so old. I was pretty depressed but my sister suggested I try to open it with BBEdit, which worked. Except then all the formatting was gone. I put it in Word for Mac but I'm having to go through it line by line, formatting.

It's been so long since I wrote it that I can't remember all that happens in it and I'm having to rewrite a lot of it, but it takes place in San Francisco, mostly at Golden Gate Park, and an anaconda snake is involved. It's going to take a long time - I'm only on chapter 1 of 30 chapters - but it's kind of fun to be taken back to when I wrote it in the late 90s :) Hope something comes of it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve Hampton said...

You Go Girl! We're on pins and needles here ;-)

5:14 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Heh :)

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Dyan said...

Me too Steve :)

8:08 AM  
Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

Good luck, sounds interesting!
I remember Claris (hearing about it, I never used it). One consolation, you probably would have wanted to update and revise your story, even if you would have been able to directly upload it.

12:40 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yes, there is so much to fix! One of the main things was that a lot of the story takes place in the natural history museum in Golden Gate Park, but since I wrote the story a whole new super modern complex has been built to house the natural history museum, the aquarium and the planetarium.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home