My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, April 07, 2019

Pete Buttigieg on Meet The Press



Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg was on Meet The Press today. He spoke of may things, but two issues especially interested me:

Chuck Todd asked him about the Christian Right's devotion to Trump ...

It's something that really frustrates me because the hypocrisy is unbelievable. Here you have somebody who not only acts in a way that is not consistent with anything that I hear in scripture or in church, where it’s about lifting up the least among us and taking care of strangers, which is another word for immigrants, and making sure that you’re focusing your effort on the poor.

But also personally how you’re supposed to conduct yourself. Not chest-thumping look-at-me-ism, but humbling yourself before others. Foot washing is one of the central images in the New Testament. And we see the diametric opposite of that in this presidency.

I think there was perhaps a cynical process where he decided to begin, for example, to pretend to be pro-life and govern accordingly, which was good enough to bring many Evangelicals over to his side, but even on the version of Christianity that you could hear from the Religious Right, which is about sexual ethics, I can't believe that somebody who was caught writing hush money checks to adult film actresses is somebody they should be lifting up as the kind of person you want to be leading this nation.


And Mayor Pete was also asked about abortion ...

In my view, this is a question that is almost unknowable. This is a moral question that's not going to be settled by science. And so the best way for it to be settled in practice is by the person who actually faces the choice. And when a woman is facing this decision in her life, I think, in terms of somebody besides her who can be useful in that - the answer to that would be a doctor, not a male government official imposing his interpretation of his religion.

I like him. I think he'd make a good president!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home