My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, November 02, 2019

#eBooksForAll

#eBooksForAll

I visit the public library every week. I've been visiting it and checking out books there since I was a little kid. I love the library - there is no way I could afford to buy all of the books I want to read, and I'm so glad there is a place where anyone can visit and read magazines, newspapers, journals, books, use computers, make copies, watch (and check out) movies, and check out music too.

And one can also check out ebooks. That's mostly what I do because my vision is so bad it's hard for me to read normal print. With the kindle my sister gave me which allows me to make the words very large, I can books again. And checking out ebooks is so easy - you can do it all via the computer from home, downloading available books immediately.

But there's now a hitch ... How a publisher is punishing library users with eBooks limit

Right now, there are 450 holds at San Francisco Public Library on an eBook that currently tops the bestseller list. That’s despite the fact that the library carries 100 copies of this particular popular title in a digital format.

Now, imagine what might happen if the publisher did not allow the public library to buy multiple copies of this book to satisfy library patrons’ requests? That’s the situation being faced by libraries across the country as of Nov. 1, when Macmillan Publishers starts “embargoing” libraries’ ability to purchase new ebooks. This policy amounts to a new form of censorship for library users. Limiting access to new titles for libraries is limiting access for readers like you ....


I received an email from my branch library today about this ... "We’re allowed to purchase one copy for more than 777,000 library card holders, and then we have to wait eight weeks to purchase additional copies for you to access." ... and they have asked me to sign a petition about it. If you care about this issue, please consider signing the American Library Association petition - it's here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

Signed it. If the library is willing to pay for the copies, they should be able to buy them.

3:08 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Katherine :)

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home