My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Harry & Meghan

I haven't seen the actual interview by Oprah of Harry and Meghan, but I've seen the clips, like this one ...



And I see that the Queen has commented on the interview, sort of non-commitally.

I should state that I'm not a fan of monarchy and I don't follow the royals at all, though it's hard to escape mention of them if you watch/read the news.

The British monarchy seems especially icky ... we fought a war to get away from them, after all ;) It seems obscene that a family can command the kneeling obedience and worship of a populace soley because they are the descendants of some medieval warlord. This royal family has a number of creeps in the contemporary ranks, like Jeffrey Epstein's buddy, Prince Andrew. And it's not surprising there would be some racism in the monarchy of a colonizing empire on which the sun could never set.

Having said that, I can't understand how Harry and Meghan didn't see this bad situation coming. Even John Oliver warned them, right before the wedding, saying ...

I would not blame her [Meghan] if she pulled out of this at the last minute. I don't think you need to have just seen the pilot episode of The Crown to get a basic sense that she might be marrying into a family that could cause her some emotional complications .... They're an emotionally stunted group of fundamentally flawed people doing a very silly pseudo job. That's what she's marrying into. So I hope she likes it. It's going to be weird for her. I would not marry into the royal family. I'm a commoner. I would not be welcomed, especially after what I've just said.



Yes, Harry and Meghan have a toxic extended family. But I find it hard to feel too sorry for them. They are young, healthy, happily married with children, living in Santa Barbara. And they are ridiculously wealthy ... Harry's personal finances in 2020 were estimated to be £30 million ($41,643,000).

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

Yeah, I'm not too worried about Harry and Meghan and their kids. But it did seem really creepy and controlling that her driver's license, passport, and car keys were taken away (who took them, and why couldn't she say no?) And also that she was not "allowed" to seek help for her depression. Who gets to decide these things for an adult? The whole Brit royalty scene seems pretty dysfunctional.
I sort of understand about constitutional monarchies, that they're part of the tradition of their countries. But the Danes and the Dutch are among those who do it better. They don't feed their royals to the tabloids, they pretty much lead their own lives, and don't seem to be quite so insanely rich.
It seems like it would be sort of an empty life, that you really didn't have any purpose other than being an expensive reality show.

6:35 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yeah, I agree. The British royal family seems especially skewed when compared to other royal families in Europe. They cost a lot to maintain too, but on the other hand, I guess they are good for tourism. They're like really expensive and divisive mascots. When I was a kid living in Bermuda, it was still a colony - there was a lot of "God save the Queen" stuff.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home