My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Hunting

With all the shootings in the news, "responsible gun ownership" has come up a lot. I'm not sure what that means, but what really creeps me out is when commentators, even some Democrats, wax lyrical about learning to hunt as children.

I am so tired of the romanticization of hunting. Parents taking their children into nature to hunt down, terrorize, and kill harmless and totally outmatched animals. For fun.

Some will say they hunt for food. If eating your victim made killing them ok, Hannibal Lecter wouldn't have been in jail. Virtually no one in the US needs to kill wild animals to survive. It's just a pathetic effort to flex one's apex predator prerogative (The Trump sons go hunting again. Will more trophy photos follow?).

If people want to bond with their family in the great outsoors, go camping, go hiking, go spelunking, go boating, go bird-watching, go rock-climbing together. Don't try to dress up killing things together.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

For some reason all the destruction and loss of life from guns have made me think of this old song from my youth:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SyXFA1TmdA

3:15 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I remember that! Their voices really went well together. I like the folk music of my youth too.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home