My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 25, 2023

RIP: David McCallum



David McCallum, Heartthrob Spy of ‘The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,’ Dies at 90

David McCallum, the Scottish-born actor who became a surprise sensation as the enigmatic Russian spy Illya Kuryakin on “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” in the 1960s and found television stardom again almost 40 years later on the hit series “N.C.I.S.,” died on Monday in New York. He was 90 ....

He was hired in 1964 to play Illya Kuryakin, the Russian-accented sidekick of Robert Vaughn’s Napoleon Solo, on “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,” a tongue-in-cheek series about secret agents working for the fictional United Network Command for Law and Enforcement .... With his mysterious air, his Beatle haircut and his trademark black turtleneck, Mr. McCallum was a magnet for teenage fans ...


And I was one of those teen fans. Sad to see him go.

4 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

My little brother was a big fan of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. in grade school. Mom was worried that it was too violent. She should have seen some of the shows now (or not!). I liked David McCallum as Duckie in NCIS. He was pretty talented that he could do both a Russian and a British accent.

5:37 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

I think maybe I should go back and watch NCIS. I never saw that show, and I like Mark Harmon too.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

I just watched it occasionally, sometimes it was pretty good. I do think it went on too long and "jumped the shark" in the last couple of seasons. I don't know if it is still going on.

5:22 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I can get it at the library :)

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home