My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, March 01, 2014

Jesus' appearance

There's something at the Jesuit Post about the new Jesus movie ...



... and about how Jesus is portrayed in art and film. There's actually a Wikipedia page on this subject: Race and appearance of Jesus. The only description of him I ever remember reading of was by Celsus, who I believe wrote that he was unattractive, but there were not any particular descriptions of him in the gospels, and I like that because everyone is then free to imagine him as they wish. Some movie depictions I recall ...


- Jesus in Jesus of Nazareth


- Jesus and his mom, from The Passion of the Christ


- Jesus and his mom from Jesus


- from The Gospel of John

There's no artistic representation that I especially like, but the ones that always come to mind when I think of Jesus in art are ...


- the Jesus from Hagia Sophia


- Thorvaldsen's statue


- Sermon on the mountain by Károly Ferenczy

But when I imagine Jesus in prayer, he keeps changing appearance depending on what's moving me at the time. For the last while he's looked like Peter from Fringe :) ...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home