My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, February 16, 2015

Immortal Coil



My latest kindle book was Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang. It's the first in a series of books about Data, the android of Star Trek. I read it out of order, having already read the Cold Equations series that describes Data's resurrection after his death, and The Light Fantastic which is about Data bringing his 'daughter' back to life (Dualism and the Light Fantastic).



Here's a blurb about Immortal Coil ...

He is perhaps the ultimate human achievement: a sentient artificial life-form -- self-aware, self-determining, possessing a mind and body far surpassing that of his makers, and imbued with the potential to evolve beyond the scope of his programming. Created by one of the most brilliant and eccentric intellects the Federation has ever known, the android Data has always believed he was unique, the one true fulfillment of a dream to create children of the mind. But is he? Investigating the mysterious destruction of a new android created by Starfleet, Data and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterpriseā„¢ uncover startling secrets stretching back to the galaxy's dim past. That knowledge is coveted by beings who will stop at nothing to control it, and will force Data to redefine himself as he learns the hidden history of artificial intelligence.

Since my sister gave me a kindle as a gift, one of the happiest things about that has been that I can now read so many books that were unavailable to me because of my bad vision ....books that were not popular or profound enough to be made into audio CDs or large print. Star Trek books seem to mostly fall into that category. I used to read them when I was a teen and when I was diagnosed with the eye disease, the first thing I said to my sister was, "I'll never be able to read another Star Trek novel." Now I can, and I'm making up for all the lost time :)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Back in 2007 you wrote about a visit to the grave of Caryll Houselander in Ellesborogh churchyard cemetery. I was wondering...by chance, did you take a photo of the grave? I've been looking for a photo for ages and find nothing! She's a hero of mine! Thank you!

Timothy

2:18 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I had to look that up ;) I had posted an article I had seen in The UK Catholic Herald ... "Three lives, three loves, one destination" ... but now I can't seem to find the article anymore. But anyway, it was the person who wrote the article, not me, who visited the grave. Sorry.

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! Well thank you very much anyway!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Victor said...

For what it is worth Crystal, I wrote you a little comment on this post about a half hour ago and I saw it go through... Long story short, could you please check your junk mail for me... believe it or not, I've had some important mail at this end find it's way to my junk mail also...lol

Blessing

12:58 PM  
Blogger Victor said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:58 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Victor, I looked but I didn't see any of your comments in the spam place. I'll look again later.

4:13 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Oh, but maybe you mean the comment that went to my other post here? ... http://povcrystal.blogspot.com/2014/09/dualism-and-light-fantastic.html

4:14 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I did delete your duplicate comment, though, but it was not the one you meant, right?

4:16 PM  
Blogger Victor said...

Thank you for deleting that double comment of mine and truth be known, I only put it in once but then again, I was sure that I had commented on this blog but it was instead one of your links titled "Dualism and The Light Fantastic"...

Go Figure old people...lol

Thank again Crystal

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home