My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, February 14, 2022

Vertigo



It's Valentine's Day. When I was a little kid watching old movies on tv, I thought this scene from the Alfred Hitchcock movie Vertigo was so sadly romantic. You really have to know the story to appreciate the significance of the scene.

TThe movie is set in San Francisco and the main character, Scottie (Jimmy Stewart) is a cop who failed to save another officer from faling to his death from a tall building. The trauma gave him a fear of heights and he had to quit the force and become a PI instead.

He was later hired by a man to follow his wife, Madeleine (Kim Novack), who had been behaving strangely and self-destructively. Scottie did so, eventually falling in love with her after saving her from a suicide attempt. Some days later, she climbed a bell tower of the Mission San Juan Bautista, and threw herself off. Stewart's character was unable to climb the stairs to save her due to his vertigo.

He was crushed and deeply depressed after this (and in the nut house for a time). After he had recovvered somewhat, he saw a woman who looked like Madeleine. She had a different personality, different hair, different style, but Scottie began dating her. Slowly he worked to get her to change, to be more like Madeleine. At first she resisted, but finally, she did all he asked to make herself look exactly like the dead woman he still loved.

The clip from the movie is when Scottie first sees her after she has changed herself, wearing the same clothes Madeleine died in. It's so disturbing and heart-breaking, bringing a dead loved one back to life ... but not really. The movie has a twist ending, which I won't reveal. It's worth a watch.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

Once in a while our book club watches a classic movie for our meeting. A few months back we watched Vertigo. I found it weird and a bit creepy. I hated that part where Scottie is making Judy to dress like Madeleine. Even though Judy turns out not to be an innocent. I thought Scottie should have valued the woman who was his friend. Now I can't think of her name. But she was the one who was always there for him, and he just took her for granted.
One part that did strike a chord with me were the scenes from the mission at San Juan Bautista, because we have been there. They really did film that part at the actual location.

5:29 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I did like the San Francisco Bay Area setting. I agree with you about the wierdness. When I was a little kid I didn't notice it, but when I saw the movie again as an adult I thought ... why doesn't he realize the lady who was his friend was the person he should love ... why was he so in love with a woman he barely knew ... why is it that he is trice her age, but that's ok ... etc. It really has a 50s mentality.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home