My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Roger Ebert on Sarah Palin

I don't mean this to be an all Palin all the time blog, but I saw this (hat tip to Susan Russell) and had to mention it .... movie critic Roger Ebert, who I so often quote here, has written an opinion on Palin in the Chicago Sun Times - Roger Ebert on Sarah Palin: The American Idol candidate. Here's just the beginning of it ....

*********************

I think I might be able to explain some of Sarah Palin's appeal. She's the "American Idol" candidate. Consider. What defines an "American Idol" finalist? They're good-looking, work well on television, have a sunny personality, are fierce competitors, and so talented, why, they're darned near the real thing. There's a reason "American Idol" gets such high ratings. People identify with the contestants. They think, Hey, that could be me up there on that show!

My problem is, I don't want to be up there. I don't want a vice president who is darned near good enough. I want a vice president who is better, wiser, well-traveled, has met world leaders, who three months ago had an opinion on Iraq. Someone who doesn't repeat bald- faced lies about earmarks and the Bridge to Nowhere. Someone who doesn't appoint Alaskan politicians to "study" global warming, because, hello! It has been studied ......

************************

And BTW, you can read Roger's post on the political candidates' favorite movies at his blog (Bush = Field of Dreams!?????)


4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Crystal, I am heartbroken. I was going to post tonight on Palin as American Idol. But Ebert beat me. Moral: That's why he is an honored, major, celebrated critic and I am just a poor,out of it, pitiful blogger.

BTW, I wrote a paper in in high school in 1949 on "Socialized Medicine". England had just started their program. The Repubs. accused the Democrats of wanting to bring it in. The term still hangs around. Amazing!!

3:29 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Thanks, Crystal. I heard about this but hadn't read it yet. Glad to see Roger's not done.

4:32 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Jack,

Great minds think alike :)

8:55 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Wlliam,

Yes, Ebert is doing ok, I think - still doing movie reviews and posting at his blog.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home