My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Fortune: San Francisco



As I mentioned in an earlier post, San Francisco is a wonderful city, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have it's problems. It's extremely expensive to live there, and there is a huge economic disparity among the inhabitants - in short, there is a lot of homelessness. This issue comes scarily close: if my mom had not left my sister and me this house, I feel I could have ended up in such a situation. Yes, there is section 8 housing for people on social security, but the wait list here is years long.

But don't believe Trump when he goes on about the homelessness problem in San Francisco. His idea is to end homelessness by eradicating homeless people, as if they were vermin. Instead, in San Francisco, people of good will are working on ways to help those in need. Above is a short video from Fortune about San Francisco and these conomic problems (and it has a lot of beautiful views of the city).

2 Comments:

Blogger Katherine Nielsen said...

I just got finished reading Nomadland, by Jessica Bruder. The people she wrote about lived in motorhomes and travel trailers. They didn't consider themselves homeless but they were priced out of conventional housing.

11:01 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Homes are so expensive here now. The new homes that are being built on my street are going for more than half a million dollars. This house, when my parents bought it in the 60s cost $11,000.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home