My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Enemy of My Enemy

Renting season4 of Fringe now and tonight's episode, Enemy of My Enemy, had a scene that really touched me.

Backstory: there are two parallel universes and in one, Walter, a scientist, had a dying son, Peter, who he couldn't save. When he learned that the same thing was happening to the Peter in an alternate universe, he struggled to find a cure and then crossed into that universe, stole Peter from his family, intending to cure him and then send him back, but after Peter got well, Walter couldn't part with him and raised him as his own. In the other universe, the kidnapping of his son turned Walter into a horrible person.

Skip ahead to the present: the two universes are at odds and may destroy each other. Peter uses a device to create a new timeline in which the two universes cooperate instead - the only problem is that it's a timeline where he died as a child and now no one knows him anymore, not even Walter. Peter wants to return to his original timeline and he needs Walter's scientific expertise to do it, but Walter wants nothing to do with Peter, who only reminds him of the son he lost. Finally, in this scene, Walter changes his mind ...



I'm really intrigued by the idea of parallel universes (it's not just science fiction and not necessarily secular). I wonder about the other versions of me.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Victor said...

(((I wonder about the other versions of me.)))

crystal, crystal, crystal just keep you friends close and your enemies even closer until the coming of "Christ" in Glory!

I hear YA! Let's hope that none of U>S (usual sinners) get the idea to crucifying HIM again NOW!

Wife calling! Got to go!

Don't worry be happy NOW!

Peace

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Hmm... that's an interesting thought experiment. If the other Crystal was the reverse image of this Crystal, would her blog have a different name and viewpoint?

7:10 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Henry,

The strange thing is that with the multiverse theory, every possible difference exists, so there would be Crystals almost exactly like me and ones completely different and everything in between too. It makes me wonder about goodness and badness and free will and determinism - ouch, my head hurts ;)

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Henry said...

Hi Crystal,

Since you like to write and draw, why don't you write a short story with illustrations on having an encounter with these other Crystals? It might be an interesting project my friend. Perhaps you could all have a dialogue about precisely the things you wonder about.

Hope you have a great day! Greetings to your sister.

Henry

4:18 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Henry - that's an interesting idea :) I hope you have a great day too!

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Well said Henry! I've enjoyed you short stories Crystal. I don't think Catholic SF/fantasy is an overly exploited genre :)

2:43 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I haven't written any fiction in a long time. It's kind of funny - I had thought of writing a story where a Jesuit becomes pope and fixes all the church's problems. I asked a Jesuit friend what he thought and he said that a Jesuit would never become pope :)

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home